Thursday, December 31, 2009

My Favorite Recipe from 2009


I tried to win a $25 gift card from Whole Foods for being able to tweet this recipe in less than 140 characters. Impressive, I know. Even though I wasn't the winner, I still stand firm that this is one of the tastiest and simplest dishes (gleaned from my sister-in-law's family in 2009). Plus the colors brighten up any table!

Roasted Butternut Squash with Dried Cranberries
• preheat oven to 400 degrees
• lightly grease a baking pan, I find my coated/non-stick pan works best
• dice peeled butternut squash into 1/2 inch cubes, using not more than enough to cover the bottom of the pan (if you want a larger quantity, use a second pan)
• sprinkle dried cranberries on top (I use a very generous handful)
• baste the cranberries and squash with honey butter (2-3 tablespoons of melted butter, margarine, or even smart balance works for those looking to be heart healthy with a generous tablespoon of honey mixed in)
• roast in 400 degree oven for 30 minutes, turning with a spatula at the 15 minute mark.
• optional: sprinkle with fresh ground black pepper

This dish is a great vegetable on its own, and the leftovers are fantastic in the next day's tossed salad. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment