Friday, March 2, 2012

A Confession and A Memory

In order to share a wonderful memory, I first must confess to something. When my kids were little, they had absurd amounts of energy. Especially my oldest...who, even though he is almost 15, comes home from school looking and acting like a caged bird from sitting at a desk all day. When my boys were about three and six, we took a vacation with family in Rangeley, Maine; which is a seven-hour car ride. My youngest gets very car sick so at the start of the trip to Maine, we gave him some pediatric Dramamine. Then I thought about the challenge of keeping the six-year-old, who has a hard time sitting still for five minutes, entertained all the way to Maine. (This was before having TV screens in backseats was commonplace.) In a momentary lapse of reason, I decided to give my older boy a half a Dramamine just to mellow him out a bit. Well, my husband and I ended up driving for almost five hours straight because both boys were asleep and it was one of the most peaceful travel times we have ever had as a family.

However, I felt so guilty about it that I couldn't bring myself to do it again on the way home. So on the way home, after the Dramamine wore off for my little guy, we still had another three-and-a-half hours of driving left to go. So we did what all white, suburban families do: we wrote a rap song. My big regret should be having given my six year old the Dramamine to begin with; but oh no, it is the fact that I never videoed them singing this song!

There's a Party in My Booster Seat

There's a party in my booster seat (come on, come on)
Wakin' and shakin' like a rooster, see (come on, come on)
Cookin' with sausage and not bacon, see (come on, come on)
The music's pumpin', we ain't fakin', see (come on, come on)

Boom shaka laka laka boom (What?)
Boom shaka laka laka boom (What?)
Boom shaka laka laka boom (What?)
Boom shaka laka laka boom (What! What! What!)

No comments:

Post a Comment