Monday, October 11, 2010

School Communication

I know it is not surprising that I would have strong opinions about school communication, since a) I have been a director of communication for a school for the last 10 years, b) I'm a mom to two kids in school, and c) I'm generally known to have very strong opinions.

Last week, my youngest was bullied in the bathroom at school. I am talking full on: verbal abuse, hitting, kicking... the works. And you know how I found out about it? Not from the school. Not from my son. I found out from my neighbor's son who hollared, "I heard H got beat up in the bathroom," as he was running across the lawn between his house and ours.

I can totally appreciate and respect H's desire to not be known as the kid who got beat up in the bathroom. He just didn't want to talk about it. But what possible reason is there for the school to not communicate proactively with parents in this instance? I just don't get it.

Coincidentally, I am in the midst of writing grades and comments for the students I teach at Watkinson School. I took great care to write deliberately and specifically to each of the students I was grading. As I was doing this, I considered how H's situation would have been handled by the Dean of Students at Watkinson. There is no way our dean would have let H come home and not have communicated with us first.

I am so disappointed in the system that educates our children in Wallingford. Since I complain so much, I decided to join the PTAC at my eldest's middle school. PTAC is a process and structure that really appears to work well. When I participate in these conversations, I get cautiously optimistic that positive change is afoot. Then my youngest gets knocked around in the boys' bathroom and no one communicates with me, and I am instantly back in that frustrating and frustrated place.

Do not undervalue proactive, transparent communication...I implore you to expect it from your child's teachers and administrators.

1 comment:

  1. My goodness--I just read this post and it frightens me a little. My boy is just four, but I am already wondering if his sweet and sensitive nature will make him a target later in school. I will certainly be hoping for an effective system of communication in my children's schools. I hope H is OK!

    ReplyDelete