Monday, December 6, 2010

Monday: Our First Work Day

D.R. Trip Nov. 2010—Journal Entry No. 3

Monday morning, we set out to work on Batey 50, likely the poorest batey in the La Romana region. It was the only day that the full team went to the same place. We were joined by Josh, John, and their film crew (Taylor and another John). Our goals for the day were to run a medical clinic (we saw 67 patients), distribute food to families and install several water filters. While we probably had more people than we needed for the work we set out to do, team members quickly adapted. Many simply went outside to play with the kids on this batey, some of the most loving kids we met all week. Four noteworthy moments from this day: first, this was when I realized that I would be in a facilitating or managing role for the week, doing very little direct work. Secondly,

Turner’s immediate response was that he wasn’t cut out for this place, yet in hindsight this was his favorite day—partly because he was so happy to be there with his cousin and uncle, but also because his job for the day was toy distribution (he gave out comfort dolls knit through his grandmother’s ministry). Third, the end of our day included a surprise birthday party for my brother-in-law, who has volunteered with this mission for two decades, including a clown, games, and a cake. The kids of the batey went crazy! It was one of the most joyful moments I have ever been part of. Lastly, this day had two intense emotional moments for me, one when I was completely alone walking down the main road overcome by God’s blessings to work out all the details of this trip juxtaposed by the extent of the problems on Batey 50, the

other when my big boy came to hug me at the end of the day and I held his very healthy body in my arms and I literally felt the full extent of my blessings.

Monday night we tried to go to Altos de Chavon. It didn’t work out for us to visit, so we opted for a trip to Jumbo and the team was introduced to the heaven that is known as a Magnum Bar. If you’ve never had one, you might want to travel to La Romana just for that!






2 comments:

  1. Jenni--what a lovely post--especially the part about holding your son in your arms. I am sure you experienced an amazing gamut of emotions on this trip. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenni- having experienced the first trip there through my brother and having known you most of my life I say "bravo girlfriend"! xoxo Kate

    ReplyDelete