Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Single Stream Recycling

I am having a deep and satisfying relationship with my new single stream recycling bin. A little odd perhaps, but totally true. I have spent the last two years developing systems for sorting different categories of recyclables and schlepping various items to myriad locations. Our previous garbage company (Nu Life) would only do curbside recycling for certain plastics (1s and 2s), metal cans, corrugated cardboard, and newspaper. Other junk mail had to be sorted separately and hand delivered to the recycling center. Hard plastics (3s-7s) don't have an in-town alternative. I would sort all my 5s on their own as I knew that Whole Foods, there's one near my office, had a free service for recycling 5s that returns the material into tooth brush handles.

Well, the super-dee-duper good news is that All Waste bought out our old company and they offer single stream recycling for everything. It has made my life so much better...I have less sorting to do and less is going in the trash can. My word of advice for today: it really matters who you hire to be your garbage company.

2 comments:

  1. When I lived in Las Vegas I was SO DISMAYED that I had one of the only set of recycling bins out on collection day. I would say out there in that neighborhood maybe 1 in 6 homes bothered. I grew up recycling--and now I am psyched to see that just about every house in my new neighborhood (Longmeadow, MA) has a bin out on pick up day. YAY!!! See Jenni, good things come to those who wait (and recycle regardless how difficult it may be!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hartford's single stream recycling is not as all encompasing (no 3-7 plastics), but I love it all the same. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete