Thursday, September 30, 2010

Easiest Family Meal Ever—Crock Pot Fajitas

Family Friendly Meal Series, Day 5

With my leftover grilled chicken from Day 1, I planned to make my White Bean Chicken Chili. Alas, the recipe I had honed after many batches in the slow cooker was on my old laptop, the files from which are on my backup drive that I just haven't had two seconds to find, plug in, or wade through. Anywhoooo, time for Plan B.

Whenever I am absolutely at a loss about what to make for dinner, out comes my universally-loved Crock Pot Fajitas!

Ingredients (for a family of four)
• four boneless chicken breasts
• 2 cups salsa
• 1.5 cups frozen corn
• flour tortillas
• shredded cheddar cheese

1. Place chicken breasts (frozen or thawed) in the bottom of the slow cooker in a single layer.
2. Put the salsa on top of the breasts, roughly half a cup spread on top of each breast.
3. Turn slow cooker on low and go do whatever the heck you want for 6 hours if the breasts are raw and 9 hours if the breasts are frozen.
4. Return after the amount of time in step 3, and put your frozen corn in the microwave for 1.5-2 mins with 2T of Water in a covered microwavable dish.
5. While the corn is cooking, take a spatula and shred the chicken breasts in the slow cooker so it looks like the picture.
6. When the corn is done, dump it into the slow cooker and mix it all together.
7, Put 4 tortillas on a microwavable plate and cover with a dampened paper towel and heat on 1 minute at half power.
8. Using a slotted spoon and spatula to squeeze out all the liquid, put the fajita mixture into tortillas, and add some shredded cheese to taste.

I have served these in the summer with watermelon, the winter with acorn squash, and most often with a tossed salad. Sometimes, when our family is heading out to a baseball game, I wrap each filled tortilla individually in tin foil and off we go...dinner on the run.

No comments:

Post a Comment