Tuesday, September 21, 2010

My Eldest Had Seconds!

Family Friendly Meals Series Day 3

If I've said this already, then forgive me, but it bears repeating. I follow RealSimple on Twitter and they launched a 30=day recipe blog series. It included things like lamb and salmon that no typical 10-year-old would eat. The seemingly complete lack of respect for the day-to-day challenge of cranking out meals that children will eat, and that I can enjoy myself, annoyed me. And simultaneously inspired me.

Anywhoooo, I trudge on with another post, the third in my series: a healthy, affordable staple in my house. In fact, tonight my finicky 13-year old had seconds. Victory, my friends.

Ingredients
• a lb of lean ground turkey
• 8 oz of frozen corn
• 1.5 tbsp seasoned salt (I like Lawry's)
• 2 cups minute brown rice (no, that's not a typo...my kids happily eat brown rice!)
• plus whatever you want to have for a side dish (see last paragraph)

Put a pot of water on to boil, following the recipe for stove top cooking on the minute rice box. The rice will take a total of about 10 minutes and so will the turkey. So at the same time, start to brown the turkey meat on medium in a frying pan. Because I use very lean ground turkey, it is important to cook the turkey slowly and not dry it out. The other secret to my success is that I chop the turkey up very finely using my pampered chef mix-n-chop, though you can do it with a good spatula too. When the turkey is almost done cooking, add the seasoning salt and a couple tbsp water. While the rice and turkey are cooking, I also put the corn in the microwave to warm. Put the corn and a couple tablespoons water in the microwave in a safe and coverable dish and heat on high for 2.5 minutes and repeat. Once the corn is heated, add it to the meat in the frying pan.

On the side: For the kids, I sliced apples as a side dish and for me and Paul I put greens, chopped apple, toasted almonds and a bit of gorgonzola cheese in a salad and tossed with olive oil and red wine vinegar.

No comments:

Post a Comment